Monday, June 15, 2009

Roger's Day of Anguish

After much routine censorship of my online comment submissions in response to New York Times' op-eds, I finally got one through concerning Roger Cohen's "Iran's Day of Anguish", which seems to have struck a chord with many of The Times' readers:

"I erred in underestimating the brutality and cynicism of a regime that understands the use of ruthlessness."

You "erred"? After months of hectoring and haranguing us on a weekly basis, you "erred"? No, Roger, you were "wrong big-time": Iran is indeed "totalitarian".

I am curious: Did you learn anything from your mistake?

Do you now understand that someone who does not speak the local language and has not spent meaningful time in the relevant part of the world is ill-equipped to opine on such matters?

Are you now aware that your op-ed concerning the frightened, remaining members of Iran's Jewish community was myopic and self-serving?

Can you now understand Israel's existential concerns vis-a-vis Iranian development of nuclear weapons?

Do you now feel any regret that you devoted only a single sentence during these many months to the horrifying persecution of Iran's Baha'is?

I await your answers.

Let me tell you what I did not include in this comment for fear of again being censored: I wanted to ask Cohen if he was aware of and sorry for the torrent of antisemitism prompted by his op-eds in New York Times' online comments.

Krugman and Rich recently wrote op-eds complaining of the hatred spawned by the right-wing media. I wish they had taken the time to look in the mirror and see the rabid antisemitism and calls for violence in response to New York Times' op-eds.

It is high time for both the right and left to turn down the rhetoric and emphasize a culture of tolerant, reasoned debate. Anyone listening?

4 comments:

  1. I am listening JG. I've read every one of your pieces. They are are beautifully written. Their tone is laudably calm given the subject matter, and apparently even somewhat effective at piercing the Times' self-protective wall.

    Look, you've done more already than most people ever would or could and you should take some stock in that. I don't know how long you can keep it up, but certainly a calm and continued barrage, in the manner you've already set out for yourself is the best strategy -- despite perhaps the feeling of being "one against the world."

    There are many people who share your views! Take heart at even the modicum of comments you've received on this blog -- this is more attention than most people receive. But again, the fact that you've pierced the Times normal wall of comment-rejection and non-response is commendable. It at least means that they have taken note! I wouldn't be too quick to throw that small opening away. You have already built a name for yourself on their comments section -- I am willing to bet at least a couple of people (at the Times) look for your comment after a Cohen story! I know I do (no I don't work there unfortunately). That is something to feel good about.

    So do please continue your campaign, both the public one and the more private one (of sending email directly to the Times). I know *I* always come to your blog to read your latest salvo. And again, the fact that you keep it so directed and focussed is a very postive thing. It turns your blog into a slow steady drill, boring into the head of the Times. This... is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear FF,

    Thank you for your kind encouragement.

    I can tell you that there is one senior person at The Times, who has read, responded and reacted to some of my posts and e-mails. I believe there is now a bit more awareness concerning the anti-Semitism that has found its way through the back door into The Times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely listening... thank you ... and keep your comments coming! I am simply relieved when I hear a reply, such as yours, in response to Cohen's relentless attack on Israel and yes the huge opportunity he gives for anti-semitic rehtoric that flood his comment section. When I read his column, I am usually shaking my head in disbelief. And then, when I read the barage of Israel-hating and anti-semitic comments, I am shaking with anxiety. I was born in Israel in the 50's (resident in U.S. now); my family's roots go back to the begining of the state. We lived on a kibbutz which purchased the land from Arabs who were very willing to sell. That goes back pre-1948. Since then and until 1967 the kibbutz was a target of Syrian snipers, who more than a few times would hit a human target. Within just our small group of say 20 family memebers, there are 2 that still have scars from terrorist attacks, dating back to the 50's. For Roger Cohen to simplify this struggle as a 2 dimensional argument is such nonesense. If his simplistic notions of a solution were worth considering, they would have been accomplished long ago. No, this is a very complicated situation, way beyond his junior high world-culture perspective.

    Thank you for your excellent posts. Please keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Rachel and Scotty.

    Rachel, my wife is from Neot Mordechai. Perhaps you knew her family.

    ReplyDelete