Saturday, January 23, 2010

Open Letter to U.S. Senator Russ Feingold

Dear Senator Feingold,

I live with my wife and children in Israel.

As you know, you are being endorsed by the J Street PAC, and, I understand, you will be offered contributions from this organization.

Perhaps you also know that J Street opposed House Resolution 867, calling on the President and the Secretary of State to reject unequivocally any endorsement or further consideration of the Goldstone Commission report on Operation Cast Lead.

I believe in a two-state solution for Israel and Palestine, which includes the return of lands, including land swaps, to the Palestinian Authority. I believe that the Palestinians should be granted self-governance and should enjoy all the benefits of freedom and prosperity associated with independence.

However, having read the Goldstone Report in its entirety and having familiarized myself with the platform and activities of J Street, I am deeply offended by the conduct of J Street, which I believe is inimical to Israel and the prospects for a just and lasting peace between Israelis and Palestinians.

I kindly request that you refuse funding from J Street. I also ask for your written response to this request, which I will publish in my blog.

Yours sincerely,
Jeffrey Grossman

[I have sent similar messages to Congressman Charles Boustany of Louisiana, Congressman Russ Carnahan of Missouri, Congressman Steve Cohen of Tennessee, Congresswoman Susan Davis of California, Congressman Barney Frank of Massachusetts, Congressman Charles Gonzales of Texas, Congressman Hank Johnson of Georgia, Congresswoman Betsy Markey of Colorado, Congressman George Miller of California, Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado, and Congressman John Yarmuth of Kentucky, and I will inform readers of their responses.]

3 comments:

  1. I looked up Feingold, when I learn that J-street supports him. He has deserved this support: he praised "truthfulness" of Obama's Cairo speech. I understand, that you did not write the Ellison, "champion of human rights", who is also supported by J-Street (of course). You had somewhere very interesting quotes from this Congressman. It should be a shame for Feingold to be supported by the same organization, who supports Ellison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to Ellison, who idolizes King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, J Street is also supporting Congresswoman Betty McCollum of Minnesota, who stated Hamas "rockets are like a drug gang that uses drive by shootings as a tactic to terrify a neighborhood" and that this type of terror does not justify "lay[ing] waste to the neighborhood".

    J Street is not Israel's friend; however, let's see if my messages prevent these Congresswomen and Congressmen from accepting funds from this vile organization. Given the age in which we live, I doubt that there will even be a single reply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think it would be appropriate for Christians or Muslims in the U.S. to use political action committees and campaign contributions to try to influence elections in Israel? I don't think it's relevant to Americans whether or not an American politician is “Israel's friend”. An AMERICAN politician should be elected solely on his benefit to AMERICA, not ISRAEL. As Teddy Roosevelt said, “There can be no divided allegiance here… we have room for but one soul loyalty and that is loyalty to the American.”

    ReplyDelete