Monday, February 25, 2013

David Brooks, "Our Second Adolescence": David's "Dream Obama"? Keep Dreaming!

Did you watch the Oscar ceremony? I didn't. I mostly read history, and it pains me to watch Hollywood-doctored portrayals of real events for consumption by the masses. I saw and detested Spielberg's sugar-coated "Lincoln," and I could not bring myself to watch "Argo." But heck, at least Michelle had her dream come true, presenting the award for Best Picture with white-gloved, gold-braided White House military social aides as props.

As long as we're talking about dreams, have a look at David Brooks's latest New York Times op-ed entitled "Our Second Adolescence" (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/opinion/brooks-our-second-adolescence.html?_r=0), in which David describes his "dream Obama":

"My dream Obama would take advantage of the fact that only the president can fundamentally shift the terms.

. . . .

My dream Obama would abandon the big government versus small government argument. He’d point out that in a mature, aging society, government isn’t going anywhere.

. . . .

My dream Obama would nurture investment in three ways."

That strange noise that you just heard? That was me, trying to stifle a yawn.

In case you're interested, Brooks would have his dream Obama "nurture investment" by taking "spending that currently goes to the affluent elderly and redirect[ing] it to the young and the struggling," starting debate on a "consumption tax plan," and talking "obsessively about family structure and social repair."

Keep dreaming, David. Can you imagine Obama cutting Medicare, attempting to push a value-added tax through Congress, and single-handedly reducing the number of unwed mothers in America? I am beginning to wonder if this op-ed is an April Fools joke come early and if it was actually penned by Tom Friedman.

Another strange noise? Sorry, this time it wasn't a yawn.

My three-point plan for nurturing investment? Simple:

  1. immediately take US ground forces out of Afghanistan;
  2. declare war on Medicare fraud using algorithmic detection;
  3. reinstate the Uptick Rule (see: http://jgcaesarea.blogspot.co.il/2013/02/paul-krugman-rubio-and-zombies.html).
Yes, you're right. I may not have a dream Obama, but I'm also a dreamer whose dreams, in this instance, have no chance of coming true.

No comments:

Post a Comment